pasture)?  I have at various times without much incident, but I seem to be
having a bit of a problem now.  My gelding is not normally at my house,
except for occasional visits.  He's at my friend's place, since we do most
of our conditioning together.  Currently he is at my house, along with the
three mares that are here and normally are all in the same pasture except
for feeding.
     Mare #1 pretty much ignores the gelding, except to let him know he's in
her space.  These two are currently together in one pasture.  Mares # 2 and
#3 seem to go instantly into heat (they are 24 and 30ish) and "swoon" over
him.  The oldest mare,  has arthritis and nerve damage in her back so I
really don't want anything to happen where she could get hurt.  The gelding
doesn't seem to like the third mare.  Last time he was here I tried putting
them together and he went after her and was pretty mean looking so I
separated them (but over a year ago I had these two together without a
problem).  Still with me??

So, I'm wanting to know, do you think the two older mares that go into heat
when they see him will act more normally when they aren't in heat and will
in time ignore the gelding?  It would be nice to have more options as far as
who goes into the pasture with whom.  I like to buddy up the horses whenever
possible and don't really like to isolate any one.  They seem happier that
way (that herd thing).  Any opinions?  Thanks again- you guys always give me
tons of great advice (still working on that trailering thing, Jim :)

Dede
Central CA