From: "Karen" <karen@storallnv.com>
To: "ridecamp" <ridecamp@endurance.net>
Sent: Monday, July 16, 2001 8:09 PM
Subject: RC: Day 31, 2001XP

: Today we rode the rest of the way thru Utah, and when we finished Barney
: vetted us in Utah and we crossed over the state line and are camping in
: Nevada.  Tomorrow we are riding to Fort Schellbourne.  It's hard to believe
: that we have come so far already!  We had a really great day, this has been
: a wonderful week so far.  After tomorrow we'll get two days off so we can
: rest and get ready for crossing the Nevada desert.
:
: I rode Rocky today, it was his 15th day and he's not as fragile as I
: thought he was! <G>  I had been getting really worried about him because
: whenever he'd get a couple of days off he was turning into an idiot (for
: lack of a better term) and spooking at whatever he decided was scary
: (everything), and in the process whacking himself.  So we solved that
: process by using 4x4's and vetwrap and guess what.....no more boo-boos or
: owies and he felt really great all day. (splint boots only rubbed him in
: this heat)   Now he will get three days off and then only has to do four
: more days total on the ride.  I am feeling a lot better now and know he can
: do it.  We just have to be really careful and take it one day at a time.
:
: It's been staying really hot, but it hasn't been so bad because we've been
: blessed with some afternoon clouds and a bit of a breeze which makes it
: bearable.  Also, Dave has been great with crewing for us and everytime we
: see him we are dunking our shirts and heads in the water to keep cool, and
: sponging the horses. We're also stopping and letting them eat too and I
: think that is really helping.  Today Barney said that Rocky had excellent
: gut sounds.  We've been getting places to fill up water each day so at
: least so far crossing this desert are we've not had any shortages.  Howard
: Kent provided a truck and driver and Jim and Cindy Brown have organized it
: so that we have at least three water troughs out each day, one before lunch
: and two afterwards.  Because of the late afternoon thundershowers we've
: also had puddles, which of course my horses are thriving on. :+)
:
: The trail has been really wonderful of late.  We're going thru a lot of
: real trail, singletrack or jeep trail and it's pretty much from pony
: express station to station or marker to marker which is really kewl.  The
: scenery is gorgeous and the footing has been really nice.  The horses are
: having a lot of fun and we're all having a great time.  Kayla rode Buzzy
: again today.  She may ride Gem tomorrow, her #1 horse.  Gem is healing from
: a cut to his back leg, from the horses running around in an arena he got
: stepped on.  I've been careful about how turn my horses out in arenas of
: late since they are so rambunctious they could easily hurt themselves.  The
: big problem is that they are so itchy and scratchy, I have them tied short
: on their ties but they still roll and lie down.  They also continue to rub
: themselves on their haybags and buckets.  Gosh, it shakes the trailer
: almost as much as the winds! :+P
:
: We are camped overlooking this beautiful ranch with lush green pastures, a
: creek and mountains all around.  A few people have driven ahead to Fort
: Schellbourne to stay, like the Dykes and the Shaw's.  I think Dorothy Sue
: may have too or else she went home, because we haven't seen
: her.  (??)  Steph and John and their entourage are camped across from
: us.  The teenage girls are all gaga over their sons and their friends.
:
: Trilby did not ride today.  I think that Clay was not acting right this
: morning.  It looked like most everybody else was out there again
: today.  Dave Rabe rode Cheyenne, the horse that I was supposed to ride as
: my third horse but haven't needed.  They looked really good, glad he is
: getting used and not just sitting around.  I haven't really been paying
: attention at the ride meeting about how many riders there have been,
: sorry.  I'm just really pleased with myself that I remember to fill out my
: ride entry card for the next day and get the photos downloaded --- and the
: GPS tracks from each day.   As soon as I get in each day I take care of the
: horses first, then take a sunshower and then do the computer stuff while
: watching the horses and then it's usually dinner time.  Tonight we had cup
: of soup for dinner, and ritz crackers.  Living high on the hog.  Well, we
: kinda ran out of food for the most part.  We won't starve, we just need to
: re-stock after we get to Ely for our next day off after getting to
: Schellbourne tomorrow.  Our fridge has been having problems, as has most
: peoples'.  I'm barely keeping one ice boot frozen now and if I'm lucky I
: have cool water to start with each day.  Since it's been either 75 or 80
: degrees at 5 a.m. when we start, the cool water doesn't stay cool for
: long.  But at least I have it.
:
: My computer has been having difficulty booting up.  It wasn't boot up
: without errors now and awhile ago it wouldn't shut down or even turn
: off.  Good thing for that reset button.  Hope it keeps working for just two
: more weeks!  I've got a lot of photos from the last few days that I haven't
: done anything with yet. Hope to on my next two days off.
:
: Terry Nance said he learned not to park his trailer sideways in the
: wind.  We all learn something new each day.
:
: It's almost time for the ride meeting.  Then 5:00 a.m. comes awfully
: quick.  Wouldn't be bad to start earlier if it stays hot.
:
: Happy XP Trails,
:
: Karen