Day 31, 2001XP

Today we rode the rest of the way thru Utah, and when we finished Barney
vetted us in Utah and we crossed over the state line and are camping in
Nevada.  Tomorrow we are riding to Fort Schellbourne.  It's hard to believe
that we have come so far already!  We had a really great day, this has been
a wonderful week so far.  After tomorrow we'll get two days off so we can
rest and get ready for crossing the Nevada desert.

I rode Rocky today, it was his 15th day and he's not as fragile as I
thought he was! <G>  I had been getting really worried about him because
whenever he'd get a couple of days off he was turning into an idiot (for
lack of a better term) and spooking at whatever he decided was scary
(everything), and in the process whacking himself.  So we solved that
process by using 4x4's and vetwrap and guess what.....no more boo-boos or
owies and he felt really great all day. (splint boots only rubbed him in
this heat)   Now he will get three days off and then only has to do four
more days total on the ride.  I am feeling a lot better now and know he can
do it.  We just have to be really careful and take it one day at a time.

It's been staying really hot, but it hasn't been so bad because we've been
blessed with some afternoon clouds and a bit of a breeze which makes it
bearable.  Also, Dave has been great with crewing for us and everytime we
see him we are dunking our shirts and heads in the water to keep cool, and
sponging the horses. We're also stopping and letting them eat too and I
think that is really helping.  Today Barney said that Rocky had excellent
gut sounds.  We've been getting places to fill up water each day so at
least so far crossing this desert are we've not had any shortages.  Howard
Kent provided a truck and driver and Jim and Cindy Brown have organized it
so that we have at least three water troughs out each day, one before lunch
and two afterwards.  Because of the late afternoon thundershowers we've
also had puddles, which of course my horses are thriving on. :+)

The trail has been really wonderful of late.  We're going thru a lot of
real trail, singletrack or jeep trail and it's pretty much from pony
express station to station or marker to marker which is really kewl.  The
scenery is gorgeous and the footing has been really nice.  The horses are
having a lot of fun and we're all having a great time.  Kayla rode Buzzy
again today.  She may ride Gem tomorrow, her #1 horse.  Gem is healing from
a cut to his back leg, from the horses running around in an arena he got
stepped on.  I've been careful about how turn my horses out in arenas of
late since they are so rambunctious they could easily hurt themselves.  The
big problem is that they are so itchy and scratchy, I have them tied short
on their ties but they still roll and lie down.  They also continue to rub
themselves on their haybags and buckets.  Gosh, it shakes the trailer
almost as much as the winds! :+P

We are camped overlooking this beautiful ranch with lush green pastures, a
creek and mountains all around.  A few people have driven ahead to Fort
Schellbourne to stay, like the Dykes and the Shaw's.  I think Dorothy Sue
may have too or else she went home, because we haven't seen
her.  (??)  Steph and John and their entourage are camped across from
us.  The teenage girls are all gaga over their sons and their friends.

Trilby did not ride today.  I think that Clay was not acting right this
morning.  It looked like most everybody else was out there again
today.  Dave Rabe rode Cheyenne, the horse that I was supposed to ride as
my third horse but haven't needed.  They looked really good, glad he is
getting used and not just sitting around.  I haven't really been paying
attention at the ride meeting about how many riders there have been,
sorry.  I'm just really pleased with myself that I remember to fill out my
ride entry card for the next day and get the photos downloaded --- and the
GPS tracks from each day.   As soon as I get in each day I take care of the
horses first, then take a sunshower and then do the computer stuff while
watching the horses and then it's usually dinner time.  Tonight we had cup
of soup for dinner, and ritz crackers.  Living high on the hog.  Well, we
kinda ran out of food for the most part.  We won't starve, we just need to
re-stock after we get to Ely for our next day off after getting to
Schellbourne tomorrow.  Our fridge has been having problems, as has most
peoples'.  I'm barely keeping one ice boot frozen now and if I'm lucky I
have cool water to start with each day.  Since it's been either 75 or 80
degrees at 5 a.m. when we start, the cool water doesn't stay cool for
long.  But at least I have it.

My computer has been having difficulty booting up.  It wasn't boot up
without errors now and awhile ago it wouldn't shut down or even turn
off.  Good thing for that reset button.  Hope it keeps working for just two
more weeks!  I've got a lot of photos from the last few days that I haven't
done anything with yet. Hope to on my next two days off.

Terry Nance said he learned not to park his trailer sideways in the
wind.  We all learn something new each day.

It's almost time for the ride meeting.  Then 5:00 a.m. comes awfully
quick.  Wouldn't be bad to start earlier if it stays hot.

Happy XP Trails,

Karen
at the NV/UT stateline
...only 9 days left!