RC: Lions & Bears&Fires!

Hi Hope! We live about 20 miles from Pasadena California (Rose Parade land).  We have tons of wild life here. Friday night there were Coyotes singing and howling under my window in the middle of the night. It was scary to wake up that way, but then I was glad, because they have been absent for many years since "one" neighbor decided to exterminate them all.  We have less ground squirrels this year too.   When my neighbor saw the bear, he was on a mule and it just stood there. I have seen about 6 or 7 bears locally, while on horseback and the horses did nothing. Same with bobcats and coyotes.  There was a pack of 6 Coyotes that had "base-camp" up the road next to two trails, the "Poop-out trail" that's a fireman's trail, too steep to ride, and "Mystic Canyon Trail".  This Saturday there was a BIG fire that burned those trails. BIG enough to make us nervous though, they had 5 helicopters, two scooper planes, one sight plane, over a dozen fire trucks, and a HUGE tractor. We watched it from our driveway. If we had had Santa Ana Winds, it would have been one of those nasty Malibu fire kind of things, we see on TV. Lots of homes nearby. Lucky the wind was a west wind, not a north wind.  This morning the helicopter came by to do some dumping at 6:30 this morning.  They fill up the helicopters about 100 yards from my house. It makes the horses edgy, but they are okay if we give them more food.  that is the worst part of evacuating horses from brush fires, if they freak out from the firehelicopters dumping stuff and low flying. Som horses wouldn't care, and some have to be sedated they get so dangerous.  They don't seem to be so panicky from the smoke, just the firefighters.

 I wonder if the coyote pack will move down here now. (Along with the bob cats and deer that were on that hill).  Hope that it's the last fire of the year. Usually we get one a year.

Beth