Re: RC: treeless saddles

My experience with the Circle Y Bob Marshall treeless saddle has been less
than desirable.  It has really caused a whole bucket load of problems with my
horse.  I had spent close to $1000 in vet bills trying to figure out what was
going on with my horse.  Both vets kept looking at the legs, I kept asking if
it weren't the saddle but they said no. Finally I had my riding buddy to look
at my saddle and get her opinion. She was able to see what I had failed to and
that was that the saddle pinched his shoulder blades and bridged to his loins.
OUCH!  A visit with an equine chiropractor has helped him immensely (I get
down on my knees to pay hommage to equine chiropractors! They are wonderful!!)

I am now in the process of getting him a custom made saddle that fits both he
and I.

Another problem I had with the treeless saddle was that it just wouldn't sit
where it needed to be.  As a matter of fact, it wasn't real clear where it
needed to sit.  I fought with that bugger all the time. I am a good rider and
I could not get in sync with my horse.  The stirrups were situated so that no
matter how hard I tried I could not ride balanced.  I knew that I needed
another saddle but I was lost as to which brand to try and thought I'd be able
to buy a cookie cutter model when I decided. That proved to not be the case.

The only defense I have for my saddle is this one:  It was pretty.  I had
bought it five years ago right after a horrific car crash and it was light
(17#'s) and after having my chest crushed it was easier to put on the horse I
had at the time, a 16h Appaloosa.  But even then I had a hard time figuring
out just where it sat.

My thoughts now on saddles are this: if you have to get a second mortgage or
sell your firstborn child do NOT scrimp on saddles and get one made that will
fit you and your horse.  You can scrimp everywhere else but I have seen the
damage an ill fitting saddle will do to a wonderful horse.

Kris