No Subject

>   Reply to: wpwpw@tds.net  Lynette
>
>Lynette asked me to post this to ridecamp. Can somebody help her??
>
>Angie
>
> >snip<
>
>My dau. older arab mare just choked a few hours ago.  The vet came and we
>unplugged the choke area.  However, she injested some grain into her
>lungs.

How do you know that she aspirated a significant amount of grain?

>He said our outlook is poor.

Not necessarily.

>He treated her with 30CC of Polyflex and 16cc of antihistamine.

She needs more thaan a single dose of antibiotics. I routinely place horses
which have choked on antibiotics for 10days-2 weeks, and reevaluate them
during this time.

>He said: pneumonia will probably kill her in 24 to 48 hrs.

Gee, what an optimist.

>I am hoping to post this on Ridecamp for others to share similiar cases
>and looking for of course better results.  We live in a rural setting and
>our Vets are no always up on everything available.
>
>Could you post this into the Ridecamp for me, I do not know how to do it
>and am waiting to find out
>from the Ridecamp owner.

If he's predicting death, you have little to lose by trying a course of
antibiotics.

                           --CMNewell, DVM