Re: RC: Trail closure/SPB

Hi,
I workmfor the U.S. Forest Service in E. Texas.  We're not having SPB
(Southern Pine Beetle) problems right now, but have in years past.  They're
kinda cyclic - there will be a number of years with few or no beetle
infestations, then they start to build up, and seem to peak every 7-9 years
or so.  We actually haven't had them bad here in E. TX since the early 90s,
and there's been almost no SPB here for the past several years.  I understand
that they've been eating Alabama and Kentucky up pretty bad for the past
couple of years, though.
As for trail rerouting - I would imagine that any closures/rerouting would be
temporary.  When there's an SPB epidemic, the only way to stop them (and if
it's a bad epidemic, even this might not stop them) is to cut the infested
pines.  Depending on the time of year, the pines might be cut and hauled away
to mills, or could just be cut and left (cut-and-leave only works during the
very hot months - the beetle larvae bake to death in the heat).  Most times
the trees are hauled off to mills to get the beetle larvae out of there.
During an epidemic, large areas may be affected by either cut-and-remove or
cut-and-leave treatments.  All personnel are involved in the effort, and it's
just not possible to take time to reroute trails while all of this is going
on.  That's why you're probably seeing closures.  We've even sent some of our
personnel from Texas to help in Alabama this summer and last year as well.
The pines that the beetles have already killed, and their larvae have emerged
from, are often left standing as snags, which can then pose hazards to trail
users as the limbs and tops start to break off.  Trails may need to be
rerouted around these patches of snags for safety reasons.  If you're
concerned about trail closures and/or rerouting, I'd recommend calling the
Forest Service office and asking them about it.  If you have an organized
group, I'm sure your efforts would be welcome when it comes time to either
clear and open the existing trails, or reroute those sections that must be
rerouted.

Dawn (wildlife biologist in Texas, hoping we don't get a beetle epidemic any
time soon!)