Fwd: RC: Potatoe Richardsons non-managed event!!

To the western states 50 (2001) Riders. This ride started out with much
confusion regarding the date. Resulting in a un-sanctioned ride. What ever
volunteers for the sanctioned ride must have disappeared when the dates were
changed. This ride used to be the Western States 60 Miler. The last 60 miles
of the Tevis Trail. I have ridden the 60 miler in past years and it was well
managed by Potatoe Richardson. What you need to understand about the
American River crossing is that a 50 or 60 miler does not have any
arrangement with the Bureau of Reclamation to close the dams up river so the
water level will drop. The Tevis ride in August will have the dams closed a
day or two before the ride so the water level will be a little lower. Your
horse may still be belly deep even so. Depends on the snow pac in the
mountains and natural run off. It is never easy for a first time Rider. I
had nightmares about it before my first crossing. I even contemplated buying
a life jacket for the crossing but didn't know where to store it! Yes the
Black Holes of Calcutta are scary. In the pre glow lite era you could not
see ribbons even if they were there. One year a horse fell down on that
narrow trail and Riders were backed up behind for quite a while. My horse
jumped over bushes beside the trail and got himself around the horse. They
got the down horse out and he was OK but a little off in one limb.
When the Western States 60 was discontinued , Riders of the Tevis still
wanted the Ride as a training for the up-coming Tevis. You take what you can
get because the AERC has nothing to do with who puts this ride on
un-sanctioned. There are Riders out there on the un-marked trail even as you
are reading this post. They are preparing for the Tevis coming up in August.
Some go in small groups or one or two Riders together. Hunt and peck your
way. You may be riding in the dark from Forrest Hill to the finish. So
practice in the Daylight. I would venture to say all or most of the Recent
WS 50 were Tevis entries. This is the easy part of the Tevis where you need
to make time. Have you ridden from the start to Robinson Flat yet? That's
the tuff part. Good Luck on the Tevis. Bye Hope