Poridon - more info

Hi gang.   I was answering the questions I got about this product one at a
time, but there have been so many emails I decided to re-post.   Just goes to
show how  desperate we all are for a good dose of  Bugs-No-More  :-)))

The name of the stuff is Poridon (as in pour - it - on....  tee hee) Equine
Insecticidal Pour On.    It is a time-release product and the ingredients
listed are:

     Permethrin........1.84%
     Piperonyl Butoxide....10%  (says "equivalent to 8% Butycarbityl" - glad
they clarified that, hmmmm?)
     Inert ingredients.....88.16%

It is a Gold Nugget product made by Neogen Corporation of Lexington, KY and
their phone number is 1-800-621-8829.   I got it from my vet, but it wasn't a
prescription deal - they just had it along with some other retail stuff.   It
was $15.  It is a 14 oz bottle and directions are to use 2 to 4 oz per
application.  I think I probably use less.  It says "re-apply as needed" and
I used a dose about a month ago....... realized last week that there were a
bunch of flies again and re-applied then.

It is listed as a repellant of a variety of flies:  house, stable, horn, face
,horse, & deer. as well as mosquitos and ticks.  It seemed to work well for
the ticks here - my gelding had a dozen on him (or more) and hasn't had one
since.   It has definitely worked well for the "routine" flies - we don't
have much of a problem with horse/deer flies in the area they are pastured,
so don't know how it would work for them.

It is an oil base, and since dirt sticks to it, it might not be good for
horses you are showing.   For that matter, I haven't tried putting a saddle
on within a day or 3 of use - I am using it on my pasture horses, so if using
for riding horses, you might want to skip the area directly under that saddle.

I'd love to hear from anyone else who tries it or has concerns about it.......
pat farmer