Re: RC: dawn/vinegar/water fly spray...Caution

Date:          Mon, 09 Jul 2001 14:49:02 -0600
From:          Teresa Van Hove <vanhove@ucar.edu>
To:            ridecamp@endurance.net
Subject:       RC:  dawn/vinegar/water fly spray is ITCHY

  I'd like to add a word of caution to Theresa's post.  I also saw this
recipe and decided to use it.  I am now treating my mare for scurf
(sp).  This mixture literally burned the skin where it was applied on
her body.  The reaction did not appear immediately.  I had used it
for over a week to test it out and then left town for 5 days to see my
newborn grandson.
   When I returned, her skin was bubbly with edema and sore to the
touch.  I'm sure the barn people thought it was bug bites.  Her skin
is now getting scabby & starting to heal.  The recipe I used called
for equal parts of distilled vinegar, distilled water & Dawn soap.

Judy, (feeling guilty), &
Hilary (thin skinned Arab, no longer itching, but plenty burned)
Orono, ME

<Well I made this up (equal parts of everything) and tried it on my 4 yr
old this weekend.  Sprayed it on, seemed to be repeling the flies.
saddled her (only my 4th time on her back) went about 10 minutes and she
was so itchy she could hardly stand it.  Nice thing was I found out that
she did not blow up with a little discomfort.  Just reached back behind
the stirrup with her nose and a look in her eyes like "I cant get to
where it itches to scratch!")  I hosed her off plus the saddle pad and
could hardly believe the suds coming off even the pad!  No wonder she
was itchy.

So I would recommend using even more care than with commercial fly
sprays in terms of not getting this stuff under equipment.  I looked on
the web and found this recipe in a couple spots and they said to apply
it just as is and no warnings about not using under tack.  I think I
will try diluting with more vinegar and water so its 1/2/2 ratios or
maybe even more water and vinegar and still plan on confining its use to
her legs, and watching to make sure that her legs dont get irritated
from the soap.

Teresa>