Re: Leases/ horse selling

"Seriously folks, is there a rider on ridecamp that doesn't know within  a couple rides, if they like the horse or not? Can't some of you just look at the horse, and say, "Naaah".  or look at it and say, "Yesss!!!"   These extended le! ases sound just exactly like what they are."

Hi Beth - It takes me months to decide if I truly like a horse.  Yeah, I can decide right off the bat if I want to know more about the horse...  I tend to buy green-ish horses and finish them out, so having a month or two allows me to do my groundwork and progress to work under saddle, or if there's a real problem with the horse, take lessons with a pro and see if things can be worked out.  It also allows the horse time to settle in, get on my feeding program, get used to my handling, and then I see what the horse is all about.  Sometimes they change quite drastically when handling/feeding/living environment changes, and it's nice to be able to evaluate the horse a month later instead of having to do it all right away.

Not that we've gone through a lot of horses, but we've had 4 on lease and kept two.  In the case of the two we returned, they both were sensitive to their environment and functioned well in their respective homes but not well at our place (one would run away with his rider once he was away from home, one had real problems fitting in with the herd).  One of the returned horses also had body balance issues that we were not sure we'd be able to correct, and it was nice to be able to return her to her home.

Michelle