Re: RC: Re: chipping/hoof conditioners

In a message dated Sat, 7 Jul 2001  2:18:44 AM Eastern Daylight Time, Abigail Aiyagari <abby1@itsa.ucsf.edu> writes:

<< However, one thing that I have
read repeatedly that I feel is probably true is that it is best to avoid
oil-based hoof conditioners, since the oil will destroy the bonds between
the proteins in the horse's hooves.  It may make the hooves more pliable,
but it is at the expense of strength and integrity. >>

It isn't particularly the hoof one is addressing with conditioners, but rather the coronet band and the periople.  As for oils--there are oils and there are oils.  The skin itself produces oils that help to keep these areas flexible, and as long as one uses biological oils that are similar to the skin's own oils, I don't think the above is a valid argument.

<<I think good nutrition and good trimming are the best ways to get
healthy feet.  <snip> Like us with our skin, I'm more ready to
believe that horses have internal ways of keeping the proper moisture
balance in their hooves, so that his diet has more influence on the
moisture level in his hooves than what we put on them.>>

Hear, hear!  This is worth repeating!  The only times one should need to use conditioners are when there are problems above and beyond what he can normally handle, or when one is rehabbing a horse that has NOT had appropriate nutritional and foot care.  They should not have to be part of the routine for the healthy, active, and well-cared-for horse.

<<About chipping and cracking--I've observed chipping in my horse and others
when they need to be trimmed.  >>

In the healthy-footed horse that is not subjected to unusual circumstances, this is true.  And you are also right that correct trimming techniques go a long way to prevent chipping.  In our healthy young horses that we start under saddle, chipping is rarely a problem when we ride them barefoot, except in really severe terrain.  What eventually drives us to the point of shoeing is wear that exceeds the growth rate, and subsequent tender feet.

Just an interesting story about terrain--this spring, I brought some mares up on lease, and three of them made a beeline for our back gate upon their arrival and wiped it out, going out on the BLM.  Two of these mares have been barefoot and "out" their entire lives; the third has likely been barefoot for the past 10-12 years.  They got a good head start on us, but my husband got on a well-seasoned horse that likewise had been barefoot for sufficient time to be well acclimated to it.  The terrain behind our house is straight up and rocky--either hardened chips of clay in bentonite soil, or shale, or old lava.  Just this one ride on the gelding rendered him too tender to be ridden on subsequent days (only a couple of small chips out), and by the time we got the mares home the following day (located them on the gelding and got all the gates closed in that area, and went up next day to catch them on foot and lead them home--three-hour walk) all three of them were footsore as well-!
-again, not particularly chipped
, but feet worn VERY short, and tender.  The gelding in particular I'm quite sure we could have ridden quite regularly barefoot on more "foot-friendly" terrain...  At any rate--I share this story to illustrate two points--one, that you are right that healthy feet don't necessarily chip, but two, use and terrain can quite easily exceed growth rate, limiting what one can do with the barefoot horse.

Heidi