Re: barefoot horses

Soaking the feet with water and apple cider vinegar ( 1 gal water to 1 cup
of apple cider vinegar) 15 minutes a day, does wonders for the barefoot (or
shod foot) hoof that chips
easily or has cracks. The apple cider vinegar neutrilizes the foot,and helps
to keep the foot more pliable. You'd be absolutely amazed at how much the
feet soak up (especially around the coronet band). Another alternative, at
the bare minimum, is digging out a water pool around the horse's water tub
so their feet can soak ( the pool needs to be deep up enough to cover the
coronet band) while they take a drink. You can use sand or small peddles to
prevent the pool from becoming muddy. You want to try to mimic that of  a
horse that stands in a river or pond to drink.
Most people do not realize the extreme importance pysiologically,and for the
optimum health of the feet to soak.
Think about this for a minute. Wild living horses spend some time each day
in a body of water. The horses do not go into the water because they know
their hooves need to absorb moisture: they go into the water to drink. While
there  they cool off, play, etc. The exposure of the hooves to water is a
side effect, but one which the hooves have been accustomed to (and dependant
upon) over millions of years. The absorption of water prevents the hooves
from drying out and keeps them elastic and supple.

In the hoof , the horn containing the most water (frog, bulb, white line)
dries out the easiest and the quickest. If the white line dries out, it
loses volume: that is it shrinks, contracting the whole foot with it. (For
example, a slice of hoof trimmed off by nippers will within a matter of
days, shrink to virtually half it's size.) Lack of water also causes
decreased hoof elasticity, which also hampers hoof mechanism.
 I suppose if daily exposure to water was not so important to the horse's
feet, then the horse would have been designed differently . . perhaps with
rubber feet.
Robyn