Howard's story/Fourth of July disaster

I didn't read Howard's magazine article. But I thought it was funny when he said he rewrote it with " No sex talk,No showers, no witches".  Gee I guess he won't be writing for the Disney channel anytime soon. That's where my children learn all their "sex talk, showers, and witches".  And if you turn to Animal Planet, you can hear them talk about the "Freakin Incredible".  Sigh, someone will be blaming me for teaching my kids that phrase.   "Guess those kids learned that nasty talk hanging in the stable with their trashy mom that rides all over the mountains. "
     Here is another scary story for the holiday.  Many many years ago, when I was a  12 year old girl, I was taking care of a bunch of horses at the local stable.  On Fourth of July, I went to groom my brother in laws three year old Arabian filly, and I tied her to a big post (Telephone pole?) that had a big ring in the side.  Some clever soul, set off a firecracker close by..right in front of her actually, and the mare spooked backwards, ripping the telephone pole out of the ground where it had been put in a good three feet deep. No brass snaps or any other things broke, and the horse ran backwards dragging the big pole for about 25 feet, while everyone screamed whoa. I was prayin "Dont break your legs, Don't break your legs!!!"  Being twelve, I was also fearful of getting into "trouble" along with having the precious horse get mutilated. The horse wound up being unscathed. No snaps broke that day, although another time a horse broke a snap and the little metal piece in it hit me like a bullet. Now if horses pull back, like really sitting back on their lead line, I bail out, avoiding the "bullet effect".  And I don't really like to handle horses on 4th of July anymore.
Beth Glover