Saddle Fitting for the Horse in Training

Hi All:

Need some help again (but you guys are so good at this).  I have a new horse
that I am training for endurance, but have a saddle problem that everyone
has dealt with, including me before, but I'd like to hear how others have
handled this.  My new horse was a sulky horse and while he is broke to
saddle, doesn't really have any topline, to speak of.  I know as his
training progresses, this will change, but how do I deal with the saddle
issue associated with this.  I have a very nice Synergist DSS saddle that
should fit him when he gets a topline, but is a bit wide over the withers.

The last time I had this issue, I used a Cashel reverse wedge pad and hacked
of the back end of the pad so it just fit up under the withers.  I was going
to do the same thing this time, but wanted to hear what others may have
done.  I searched the archives and didn't find anything on this subject.
I'd also be interested in hearing what people use for saddle pads.  I like
the Skito, but I'm afraid that it might be too much padding with the thick
foam.  I'm not opposed to buying another saddle, but I can't see spending
the money if it will only fit for a short time until his body changes.
Thanks in advance.

Carolyn Burgess