Dancer and Dance Line

guest@endurance.net writes:

> .Dancer and the horse at that
>  ride...Is Dancer still alive?

Dancer and Dance Line are not the same horse.  Ever since I've read about
Dancer I knew some folks would mix the two horses up.  I'll try and clear it
up, since you and several others have written to me asking clarification.

Dancer died last June, 2000, a few days after the Oakland Hills ride; I
believe that ride is out in California.  At the ride, the horse and rider
went off a cliff, survived the accident, but Dancer did die a few days later.
 There is a detailed report on the Decision of Protest and Grievance
Committee in May's Endurance News.  The
owner/rider was accused of abuse and cruelty, the protest was not upheld.

I don't want to really get into those details; I wasn't there and I can't
bring myself to comment on another rider's actions, especially in this area,
since it almost happened to me. It's one of the few areas where I try and be
careful what I say.  If my horse, Dance Line, had died, I don't think I would
have written my story and I would no longer be an endurance rider.  I would
not have to courage to show up to another ride.

The reason I put my story out there again is for hope.  Hope that, maybe, a
new rider, or even one who has been around for awhile, will read it, and
understand.  Understand how horrible the feeling is, to get your horse into
this situation.  I have a hard time reading stories like Dancer's and I have
a feeling the story that comes out of the NASTR ride will be just as
unpleasant.

The need to compete can make some of us do things that we otherwise would not
do.  It's my hope, that if you read what happened to me, you might take the
time to redefine how competitive you want to be in our sport. I'm not saying,
"Don't be competitive," not at all.  Just be careful with it, work up to that
level, and keep in mind your horse must always come first.  The experience
woke me up and I've never been the same since.

One of the things I appreciate from Ridecamp, and our sport, is it's
frankness.  We're not afraid to talk about things like this; we get it out in
the open, where it should be.  Even an old fart, like myself, is never too
old to learn or change or discover.

cya,
Howard