Day 20, 2001 XP

Hi!  Well, we just finished the week!!  Now we are exactly 1/2 way thru the
ride.  Kind of hard to believe, it seems to be going by so fast.  We had a
really great week, I rode Weaver today and sponsored Kayla again.  She has
ridden every day so far, 1,000 miles, on her two horses Bud and Gem.  I've
missed a day and a half myself, so both of my two horses have done 450
miles in the last month.  I have one set of easyboots that Rocky used on
his front feet and Weaver has used on his back feet for about 700 miles
alltogether.  btw, in case anybody is wondering (since I was told that it
wouldn't work)...both horses feet, all 4 of them.....are in excellent shape
after having the boots glued on for two weeks with no heal straps.  It
really does work!  It is sure nice not having to put the boots on and off
each day, or worry about having to clean their feet out every day too.  If
they can keep going two weeks at a time I'll only have to glue them on two
more times.

I'm not sure if it was because Weaver's last ride day was 11 1/2 hours and
had a few thousand feet of climb, or if it was because he got to graze at
the river a long time yesterday but he was sure nice and ready to move out
this morning.  He sure does feel good and is really happy about going down
the trail, it's such a thrill to be riding him on this trip.  We're having
such a great time :+).

Yesterday there were 31 riders, Joyce Sousa got BC.  I don't know about
today because we'll miss tonights ride meeting but I'll find out
later.  Kayla and I finished 7th and 8th today and finished at a little
after 2 p.m. with a 5 a.m. start.  We were both lucky to have been riding
our sane horses today, as we had an entire (large) herd of sheep being
driven down the road that was part of our trail.  Luckily, Weaver and Bud
didn't have a problem with it, but our other horses would have probably
gotten wound up.  It's kind of fun to be riding horses with such different
personalities.

We saw a lot of deer and antelope today.  They sure are fast!   The footing
on the trail was really nice today with nice scenery.   One of the locals
we talked to said it was 100 degrees. It was definitely in the high 90's,
but we're getting used to it, at least it feels more like home now because
the humidity was only like 23% when I looked at lunchtime.

The terrain is rugged with rolling hills, and then we had a really huge
downhill later in the day, kind of like a larger version of Darwin grade if
anybody knows that trail.  Kayla and I got off and ran down most of it, so
I'll probably have shin splints, but hey, we've got two days off to
recover!  The horses were really pumped up.  We had plenty of water on the
trail today, and lots of opportunities to scoop and sponge them to cool
them down.  I didn't get a chance to weigh Weaver at the finish because the
scales weren't set up yet so I don't know how much weight he gained
<bg>.  He is probably down a few pounds, but he sure looks good right now
for just doing three days this week.  Next week he'll just get to do two,
and gets three days off in a row now.  He's in really good shape -- both
horses are actually, I'm pretty lucky.  I can't believe that we're halfway
already!!  At least we are starting out the second half without any serious
problems.

Well.....other than the truck doesn't have 4WD right now.  We have to find
a dealer in Casper this weekend and get it fixed.  At least we don't have
as bad of vehicle problems as some people are having.  More rigs broke down
today.  We better get everything fixed and ready, it's going to get a lot
harder on everything in the coming weeks.

Some of us were musing that the first week or two the riders were sore,
then the next week the horses, and this week it's all the rigs that are
having trouble moving <G>.

Next I have to find an internet connection so I can upload all of my photos.

Happy XP Trails,

Karen
& Weaver, 450 miles down
& Rocky, same here :-)