mares vs geldings

Just had to put my 2 cents worth in on this one.......since 1981
when getting into this sport I have ridden mares.  LOVE 'EM
!!!!  Both that I have competed on have been the most honest and
hard working horses I've known.  I've had good luck as neither
were moody during their heat cycles...as a matter of fact I've
won many a ride while both were in dead heat.  I realize that
for many this is not the norm.  The mares have always been tough
too.

I am currently starting my first gelding in the sport.  Raider
is an ex-show horse that hated the show ring (was a run away at
the cnater in the ring...this horse is the sweetest thing around
but, hates the ring)  Anyhow, I've had a really good 50  miler
on him and he was wonderful......wanting to go and yet controled
and listening to me.  This might be a new experience for me with
a gelding....especially one that likes to go.  The one gelding I
tried several years ago did fine till about 30 miles and then he
would just say , "nope I'm done."  He is a great competitive
horse but, not endurance....he also is a woos baby.  If he stubs
his toe just once he is limping lame for 1-2 weeks....no
swellling, no heat but, thinks he hurts (I am sure he does hurt
but, to what extent we'll never know.....he doesn't react to any
poking or proding.....)    Due to this reason I have always been
partial to mares.

In the long run....I think it all depends on the horse.  There
are really good mares out there but, like me...I wanted some
babies out of my mare so she is retired to broodmare and just
ride around the farm horse.  I think alot of us tend to do that
....take mares out of competition to breed whereas geldings
...well, no reason to take them out of competition.  I always
try to look at each horse as an individual to make a decision as
to which is better.