Thunder Storms, pain killer of choice.

Laura T. lit959@yahoo.com
Wow yesterday afternoon it seemed as though the skies had a "come apart".
(That is southern for a melt down, hissy fit, a wild bucking fit, you get
the picture <BG>)
 We live a couple of miles from the Tennessee Alabama line right at I-65.
We live on the Alabama side.  Anyway, there were several hits of
lightening close to my barn, and on my property - as usual.
My husband and I were finishing
up our current project in the barn (power and water to the barn yipee).  I
did bring my gelding into the barn for the storm.
It must have rained 4 or more inches in a very short period of time!
Wind, very hard rain, sheet lightening.  My dogs were scared.
The rain/lightening/wind was coming down so hard, we didn't risk a run to
the house.
My horse was concerned, but not crazy, just alert.  It was very loud with
the metal roof.  I noticed that he could tell when
the lightening was coming near him.  He acted as if he could hear it
coming.  I have never notice that before.  But,
he did.  He has been out in that kind of rain and terrible weather before.
I usually have him OUT in that kind of weather.
I always thought he would be safer.
 Especially if we had a tornado.  That way he would not be blown away with
the barn or he couldn't get away or something.  But, I am thinking from
now on I will be putting him in the barn
when we have these terrible lightening storms.  Every time we have had one
since moving here, I have ALWAYS worried as to whether the horses were
dead or alive.
 I have gone out on many occasions with the flash light looking for
horses, and seeing if there were any horizontal ones.  So far - knock on
hay - there have been none, but have know of several that have killed in
this area.

Bottom line:   I am doing like Howard:   mine are going into the barn.
Maybe I will get my husband to put up a lightening rod.  But I don't want
to attract it to my place. hmmm.
It is kinda like that "not in my backyard" type of thing!

People here in this area hate rain.  They think that in Seattle where we
used to live (it has been four years now that we have lived here - and I
am READY to leave this area), that it rains like it does here.
No it doesn't rain there like it does here in the south.  By the inches,
sometimes by the foot.  I feel sorry for the folks in TX.  My heart goes
out to ya'll.
You all have had some intense rain lately.

Kristin - sorry for your loss of your horses.  Every time I hear thunder,
I wonder if my horses are dead.  Maybe I just care too
much about my horses.  ?

Ibuprohen.  Works the best for me.  But only 2 at a time.

Laura - "Diamond your fur is so clean, and soft."
Diamond - "I use what Jane Seymore (Dr. Quinn Medicine Woman)  uses,
rainwater!"