Re: RC: Re: barefoot

1. If a ride manager is going to have requirements stricter than AERC
requires they must publish it in their ride materials. Would riders really
want to wait till they get to the ride for the vet to decide if they need
shoes?
2. The manager will often know their trail better than the vet, and the vet
will follow their recommendation in this regard anyway.
3. If the vet check is away from camp & it's up to the ride management to
haul horses in, they should have the right to eliminate a likely problem in
advance.
4. With all the recent talk of how we need more
restrictions/rules/requirements so endurance "looks better" to the public &
that we don't abuse our horses, how would we explain that ride management
isn't allowed to try to prevent barefoot horses gimping around in the rocks?

BTW, I have only used the "strongly recommended" statement myself, the vet
checks have always been in camp. I think only a mule has actually started
w/o shoes or easy boots. (Went 25 miles okay.) If I had to have a vet check
away, I think I would want to require "hoof protection" of some kind. At any
rate, I wouldn't want to give up that option.

Nancy Mitts