Re: barefoot

Lynda, having just come up against this very subject at a recent ride,
here's
what I have learned.

Perhaps I have missed something, but there is no rule in the AERC rulebook
requiring horses to be shod.  The rules state that Veterinarians are the
sole
authority for deciding what criteria will be used in a ride, including
metabolic
and physical requirements; and their decisions are final!

However, a ride manager it seems can place a restriction on a ride requiring
horses to be shod with little more background other than  personal opinion
(i.e., "I believe it is cruel to compete a horse barefoot").  This seems to
be stepping into the
veterinarian role, IMO.  I believe a ride manager, knowing the terrain and
conditions
of said ride course, has an obligation to alert potential riders that "shoes
and/or
pads, are strongly suggested".  It's then up to the rider to properly
evaluate the
horse's experience, conditioning, and foot soundness, and make the decision
for
that ride.  It's also up to the ride vet who vets that horse in for a given
ride to make
the decision based on the foot in front of him, that the horse is fit to
start.

Admittedly, an improperly conditioned horse that is competed barefoot has a
distinct disadvantage and most likely will be pulled at the first vet check
for
lameness (and the rider pulled for stupidity!).  However, IF a horse has
been
properly trimmed, and IF a horse has been properly conditioned for barefoot
distance work, that horse ought to be able to compete...... under all of the
requirements placed on any other shod horse in competition.

Sue Riegel, So. Oregon