RE: responsibility is the owner's,not the vets/Horse Dying at Endurance Ride

If you take the AERC Rules exactly as written, there is nothing that
directly relates to the death of a horse under any circumstances. If you go
to the AERC
Vet Handbook and examine Appendix A, the post ride statistical report, you
will find a requirement for reporting the death of a horse. In particular it
is stated "Notify the AERC Veterinary Committee of death(s) as soon as
possible. Please attempt to determine cause of death." It continues on
requesting details etc.

As far as the ability to remove a horse from the ride, please read Rule 2!
is written plain and simple, "The Veterinarian's decision regarding
disqualification must be final and ride management must stand behind the
veterinarian's decision".

So, if the vet said slowly walk the horse in, and the rider disregarded the
order, this is grounds fore disqualification. Of course in the case of the
horse expiring, the disqualification is moot. It is however grounds for the
refusal of entry to any other ride if the case is properly presented to the
P&G Committee and a favorable decision is made. But do we have strong enough
Vets, Managers and participating riders willing to go through the process?
Just consider the sympathy extended to the rider/owner upon the demise of
the animal. Then heaping a protest on top of it. Very doubtful out come.

Therefore, the direct answer SUG is that the Vet can pull the horse on
nothing more than a premise it might get into trouble with in the next leg
of the course. Hell, we have all seen horses pulled for lameness that was
barely noticeable and definitely not metabolically endangering.

The rules are written to allow the Vet to express his concerns, to exercise
his expertise and to pull any horse at any time, not just at a vet check. To
my personal way of thinking, our vets to often give the benefit of doubt to
the rider to the horses regret. But then all I say and think is summed up in
the preamble to the AERC Rules and Regulations that the competitor is
ultimately responsible.

IN THE CASE OF EQUINE DEATH BE SURE YOU DOCUMENT THE PROXIMATE CAUSE!

Bob