Respnse to Sylvia

Hi Sylvia,
I can't seem to find my AERC rule book when I want it, but I am sure it says
an endurance ride is not less than 50 miles.  By definition, anything less is
not endurance.  To answer your questions: as a LD rider, I can't possibly
expect endurance credit for mileage.  I cannot possibly expect equal credit
as the person who rides the 100 mlle distance at the same ride. Will I be
racing the LD's?   Hardly.  My horse and my ages combined equal 98 years.
(And even if I had a younger horse, I am too scared to race anymore) Will I
be looking for National recognition?  It would be hard to expect that from
the AERC, an endurance club, when I was not riding endurance rides.

In my mind, LD is not endurance.  However, it serves a very useful purpose.
l. It is for new riders to learn how to pace, how to go through a vet check,
become familiar with the endurance game without being at the more demanding
level.  It is instructional.
2. It is for young horses starting their careers.  Instructional for them
too.
3. It is for old horses whose owners don't want them to go the endurance
distance anymore.
4. It is for old people that don't want to go the endurance mileage anymore.
5. It is for people with time restraints or physical problems that do not
allow them to go the longer endurance distance.
6. It is for experienced and proven horses and riders getting back into the
game after a lay-off or an injury.
More simply put, it is for ANYONE who just plain can't or doesn't want to
ride any further than the LD distance, for whatever reason.

I can play chopsticks.  That does not make me a pianist. I can run a short
distance, but that does not make me a marathoner.  I can paddle my way across
a pool, but that does not make me an Olympic swimmer. But I can still ride
endurance mileage so I am an endurance rider.  When I can't, I am an ex or
former endurance rider just the way (but on a slightly higher level)! Joe
Montana is an ex-football player, Muhammad Ali is a former boxing champ or
Bill Clinton is a former president. Before I ever heard of endurance (1964) I
spent literally hours and hours riding further distances than LD rides with
no reward or recognition other than trying to explain to a tolerant husband
why dinner was late or his shirts weren't ironed.  It was for the sheer
pleasure that many of us find in riding a horse with no expectation of
points, mileage, awards, etc.  When I discovered endurance, I thought awards
were pretty nice. I really wanted that first Tevis Cup buckle and I slept
with it under my pillow for a week. So I do not deny that I like awards.  And
I am a mileage nut.  I love to see both my miles and my horses endurance
miles add up. But once we seek a different (different, not lower) level. as
with LD rides, I do not expect either my horse or I to receive endurance
mileage or points.  If this does not satisfy me, I will just have to seek
some other activity that does.

I appreciate your questions and hope I have answered them satisfactorily.

Julie