RE: RC: Joint supplements

Hi Mary,

A bit behind here so my appologies if this has already
been answered.

>  I am looking at a catalog with 3 full pages of joint
> supplements products. Does anyone have an idea of what you really
> need as far as ingredient and dosage?

This is an important question.  The latest I've heard
is 3000mg of CS and alteast 2000mg of GAGS in
combination everyday.  After a certain amount the
body does not absorb any additional CS and GAGS so
it is a waste to over feed.  Thing is, different horses
may have different optimal amounts.  While giving
Adequan IM injections *and* feeding oral supplements
should be overkill, this is what helps Magnum best.  But
he is a special case...  ;-)

Other things that work well synergistically:
MSM, Magnesium, perhaps other micronutrients.  (ie, a good
vitamin / mineral supplement).  The oral supplements I've
seen work best also add yucca, devil's claw and other pain
and inflamation moderating additives.

If you are treating a retired horse the new liquids with all
these things and the minimum of 3000 mg CS and 2200 mg
GAGS should work well.  If you are using joint supplements to
protect your endurance horse, keep in mind that MSM, yucca,
devil's claw, and other similar things *are* against the zero
drug rule (I don't want to start a discussion on that here...).

You can remove the supplement a couple days before a ride.
However, in my opinion, I do not want to be training my endurance
horse on daily doses of yucca.  (I do use the MSM though).  That's
kind of like taking advil every day whether you need it or not.
Therefore, while Magnum is on a joint supp that has all kinds of
extra stuff in it, Blue is on one that is simply CS and GAGS and
vits / mins.  When I work him hard or feel it helps, Blue also gets
1/2 oz of MSM which really helps the CS and GAGS get into the
joints, reduces inflamation, but does not cover up pain.

:) - Kathy Myers
in No. Cal. with Magnum the TB ex-racer
and Mr Maajistic... resident endurance Arab