Re: RC: Stallion Behavior

n a message dated 6/20/01 6:36:57 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
lanconn@tds.net
writes:

  > IMHO, If your stallion will not stand nose to nose with another
horse,
  >it IS your fault. There should be no difference in behavior between a
  > stallion, a gelding, and a mare at an Endurance Ride

>No indeed! I don't EVER want someone allowing their horse to go nose to nose
>with mine, mare gelding or stallion! Horses by NATURE don't go up in each
>others' faces, in the face of strange horses without the possibility of
>threat. I would never punish my horse for resisting an in-your-face encounter
>with a strange horse.

?? What is an "in your face" encounter... I wasn't referring to being
agressively attacked or run off the road. Whole different ballgame. When
would you get a "nose to nose" encounter other than in a water trough or
creek?  Hopefully everyone is going the same way! :) What I meant was I
expect my horse to stand or slow down and let another horse trot by
without kicking, biting, or any other form of aggression.  I expect him
to allow another horse that he has never seen to trot right on his butt
without kicking. I would prefer a respectable distance, but somtimes
that isn't possible in the excitement of a start on a crowded trail. The
exception I can think of would be if another horse bit him on the
butt...he would probably defend himself and that's acceptable. I expect
him to stand quietly and drink at a creek or water trough in a group
without biting or annoying other horses.

> and in 20 YEARS I have never seen two horses who are strangers
>jolly right up to each other without some level of formal introduction.

Hmmmm....Unless I misunderstand your meaning here, come on down to
Georgia, Sandy, and I'll show you one...in fact could probably show you
several. <grin>

Jim and Sun of Dimanche