The Bet

Title: The Bet

Thank you Edie for taking on this task.  I asked the original question, but I had already drawn my own gut feeling and didn’t wish to pursue the subject any more.  But we still needed the answer and you came to bat for us.  I applaud your delicate way you handled this whole ordeal, and hope that you will be left in peace.

At this point, I would like to say after my original post asking the question, I was baraged by several extremely nasty e-mails from Tom Ivers and Jaye Perry.  Jaye threatened “my reputation in the endurance community” which made me laugh because I have so little reputation as an endurance rider so far.  He also called me several names I care not to repeat here.  All to protect Tom, Bill and Smokey for what reason I don’t know.  He is not someone I would want on my team.  He practically begged me to send him some videos of my horse’s gaits after calling me several nasty names, and of course, not trusting him anymore, I declined.  It doesn’t matter how good a farrier/vet/coach is if I don’t feel good working with them.

But the lesson here is as Lynn Glazer put it so aptly earlier – is “discernment.”  You, as a rider, no matter how experienced, or inexperienced, has the responsibility to ensure no harm to your horse.  Advice from seasoned ENDURANCE riders, nutritionists, and veterinarians is totally appreciated.  So thank you Roger, Heidi, Susan G, Karen Chaton and the many others who contribute to Ridecamp.  I have been learning so much here.

So hopefully my “so little” reputation will grow to someday being noted as a RESPONSIBLE, SENSIBLE ENDURANCE RIDER.  I may some day choose to use a carbo-load product – I have not ruled that out – but I want to be very careful and know what I am doing and know my horse before I do so. That may be many miles away.

When I get my farrier problems licked, I will be back on track!  Getting front lateral x-rays on Friday….one good piece of advice I DID get from Tom Ivers.

K.