MALIBU RIDE AND TRAIL INCIDENT

Well, believe it or not, I've just spent the last hour or so going through
the AERC rulebook to see what rule this person may or may not have violated.
And, I can't find one.  I found something close; it applies to the rules
under Limited Distance, the event which the woman was entered.

Under L4. Entry to a ride may be refused for cause.
L 4 1.  Abusive harassment of ride personnel, other riders or crews, such as
arguing with the veterinarians, breaking in line at vet gates, or
deliberately blocking other riders on trail.

Then there's

L 4 2  Cause might also be determined by the Board or one of the committees
of AERC.

The problem is, this falls under refusing an entry to a ride, so I'm not even
clear on whether you can use it to file a protest.  I went through the rule
book entirely and did not find another paragraph that comes close to covering
her harassment of riders on the trail.

I find the AERC Protest and Grievance procedures fascinating.  I wouldn't
like to get my name in Endurance News under that section.  But it sure seems
like the way to go if you want to try and stop this person from continuing to
assault bicyclists and other riders on the endurance trail in the future.

If I saw it at a ride, after bringing it to the Ride Manager's attention,
I'd at least make a few phone calls when I got home, to see what option is
available if the Ride Manager decided not to act on it.

There is a one hundred dollar fee involved when filing a Formal Protest and
you will have to write a bunch of stuff down with witnesses and the like.
But, you get your hundred dollars back if the protest is upheld.  The thing
is, does this fall under an issue that can be protested?  I'm not real clear
on that one and I guess it's why we have Committees.

The other question I have is can more than one person join in to file the
protest?  It would make the hundred dollars easier if three or more got
together.  If filing a protest is possible, I think it's the way to go.  Even
if you don't win, it sure will bring it to the offender's attention.  Almost
worth the money if you feel that strongly about it.

Any AERC member can file one.  And the alleged offender doesn't even have to
be a member of AERC from what I can tell.

cya,
Howard (I know, me quoting the AERC rule book is kind of like Bozo the Clown
trying to decipher rudimentary Physics)