Re: MALIBU RIDE AND TRAIL INCIDENT

> In a message dated 6/19/01 11:16:00 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
> sbrown@wamedes.com writes:
>

> If you have a "competition", people are going to be competitive and if
> anywhere
>
> Sandy wrote:

<snip>

> this activity - to put it kindly - last Saturday goes well beyond
competitive

> attitudes, ect - it amounts to a profound stupidity and a complete
absence of

> common courtesy or sense. No matter how competitive one is, the welfare of
> the horse come first.

With my comment was excerpted as above, it looks as if I'm making excuses for
the behavior.  This is not so.  Another part of the same post stated this (and
I'm quoting it again since the comment cut out of context displays a totally
different attitude than the entire post was illustrating -- in other words,
Sandy, you're preaching to the choir on this one ;-)):

> A lot of people have a pretty intense competitive spirit and, as one friend
> told me, if you have that kind of personality, it's real hard to not get
> caught up in it once you're actually out on the trail.  The greatest
majority
> of the riders, however, will let common sense have an active role in their
> riding when these urges emerge...the sad part is that there are a few who
> don't seem to have *any* common sense in this area!

We need to have a way to deal with the people who display this profound
lack of
common sense, manners, and safety considerations.

(And we need to be careful about cutting people's comments so that they end up
sounding totally different than what the author intended.)

Sue