sunburned lips

On our LD ride over the weekend, I slathered on the sunscreen and put
ChapStick on my lips to try to avoid sunburn.  My skin was fine, but I have
the worst case of sunburn ever on my lips.  I have blisters and the skin on
my lips is now peeling off.  What do you guys use to prevent sunburn on lips?
 AND what do you use to relieve the discomfort if your lips are sunburned.
Aloe vera tastes bad and ChapStick isn't helping (just like it didn't help
prevent the sunburn, despite their CLAIM right on the label that the stuff
prevents sunburn!)  Sorry, a little crabby today and looking for some help.

Rhonda