Re: Manners

>I have a really kind farrier, and he gave me some tips on getting the
>youngsters prepared for work with him.  First of all, he came to do the
>horses when the foal was born, and he would just come in with me and pet
>her and talk nice to her without touching her legs.

   I try to do the same thing.  I also will do similar things for those
adult vet-phobic individuals. One in particular is a large TB event
horse--he used to be a holy terror to vaccinate and blood test, but he's
quite fond of peppermint...

   As for those horses who are ok with the owner but bad for
"strangers"--try enlisting your horsey friends to pick up their feet and
otherwise handle them.
                                             --CMNewell, DVM