farrier and vet training

Hi ridecamp. I don't know if it's helpful to anyone, but I have a really kind farrier, and he gave me some tips on getting the youngsters prepared for work with him.  First of all, he came to do the horses when the foal was born, and he would just come in with me and pet her and talk nice to her without touching her legs.  He had me make sure she could stand tie, but usually I held her when he was doing her feet. He told me to practice picking her feet up everyday, and tapping them with a hoof pick to simulate nailing, and to move her legs around in wierd positions.  Then the first few times he would only give it a little filing with the rasp, she didn't need much anyway.  My filly needed shoes for a little while when she was still a baby, and we never had a problem.  We also had lots of carrots to dole out when he was working with her, and made sure one of her horse buddies was real close by.    The vet was a little harder to work with, 'cause of the first few times she met him, it was the enema, the shots, the strangles vac. up the nose, the blood draws. She figured he was a real bad man. Nature valley Granola bars have helped her get over that, (I give him some so he can give them to her when he works with him) She has grudgingly decided to let him live.  Hee hee!      yours, Beth