manners -- farrier fears

RE: <<<<<<<So what is the BEST way to retrain a horse who likes to snatch his foot away
from the farrier?  I have one of those. .... snip.... I don't want this horse hurt, but
he's dangerous when he's being a jerk about his feet when a nail is sticking
out.  I don't want my farrier or equine to get ripped up.  Is thoughful use
of a lip chain OK in this situation?  Is this appropriate use?  Is there a
better way?>>>>>>>>

I am VERY interested in this topic. I have a 7 year old who is AWFUL for shoeing. As a youngster he was owner by an elderly breeder who was no longer able to gentle the colts as he would have liked to. At age 6 months, the figety colt was whacked by a farrier with a rasp -- hurting and frightening him. He then had to be thrown to be trimmed to the age of 18 months when I got him. Tho he's much improved and does okay for a trim, he remains extremely suspiscious of farriers (one look at a leather apron and he's uptight...) and fearful. When it comes time to shoe, he's VERY difficult. You absolutely cannot rough-up this horse, he's very sensitive and never forgets.

I have found one farrier that is a "white witch" with horses and can get him to stand quietly for any work. This guy understands about the sensitivity and will use distraction and horsey language to get through to him. Unfortunately, he's also hard to schedule, frequently stands me up and recently moved over an hour away. I am about at my wits end to replace him. Most farriers get the front feet snatched out, combined with lunging and other dangerous behavior. I agree that these professionals have the absolute right not to get hurt, and I am frightned both for my horse and an innocent farrier when he pulls away with a nail sticking out.

I have worked with him extensively, but his misbehavior is fear-based, and therefore doesn't kick in with me, only with the farriers. I can hammer on his feet all day, no problem. The last set of shoes was put on my my barn owner, a recent farrier grad, who the horse knows and trusts (because he feeds him!). We had to use two tubes of Quietex AND a humane twitch. This is frustrating and frightening. I am hoping to go full time barefoot with the Strasser trim, but found he wasn't ready this summer so I will have one or two resets. Advice, experiences or comments all welcome!

Terry B/Salem