Re: RC: ortho-flex loin rubbing

>jenni jenterp@prodigy.net
>Hello fellow riders.  I am writing with a question re: loin rubbing
>problem with my ortho-flex.  It is an express lite model and I got it used
>on ebay for a great price.  Problem is it rubs the hair off my horse's
>loins.  As far as I can tell he is not sore, but I have to think that loin
>rubbing is NOT a good thing.  I searched the ortho-flex site and emailed
>them.  Not response to my emails, but on the site they suggested a thin
>felt pad to reduce friction.  I bought a thin felt, western style pad.  It
>doesn't stay put under the saddle (slides back) and although thin by pad
>standards, seems bulky under the bootie.  Someone I know suggested getting
>in touch with a dealer to check saddle fit and make adjustments.  My
>questions are: 1.) Is there a pad that works well under the bootie system
>to reduce friction from the flexing action. 2) Anyone know an ortho-flex
>dealer in Western Washington state area?  3.) Anyone else have this
>problem?  How did you resolve it?  4.) Does ortho-flex ever answer their
>emails?  5.) Do ortho-flex saddles really need to be fitted?  I believed
>that they were a fits all horses deal.  6.) Am I wrong to assume that the
>flexing is causing the rubbing?  What else causes loin rubbing.
>This problem happened even when we were doing all walk rides (ie:no
>trotting/cantering.)
>Thanks for any and all responses! :o)
>Jenni, in Washington, on beautiful Vashon Island

I had loin rubbing with my OFs from the back panels flexing.  For showing I
took a quarter inch thick felt pad and cut it to fit exactly under the
saddle.  The bootie fleece seemed to grip it well so no sliding, but I was
prepared to use some velcro patches if it had been a problem.

For trail, I have a double thickness medical fleece crate pad (yes, I found
it at a dog show) that is just a little longer than the saddle -- absorbs
the sweat, washes easily, and has good "stick" with the bootie fleece.
I've also had good results using a medical grade sheepskin fleece -- wool
side against the horse, hide side against the booties -- again, very little
slippage.

Lynn Kinsky (Santa Ynez, CA)
http://www.silcom.com/~lkinsky