RE: Some info on Olympics

The Olympics are definitely a professional sport! Every country that participates enters their best professionals including the equestrian events. And including the USA.

Bob Morris
-----Original Message-----
From: Truman Prevatt, PhD [mailto:tprevatt@mindspring.com]
Sent: Saturday, June 16, 2001 8:33 PM
To: jsalas
Cc: ridecamp; Howard4567@aol.com
Subject: RC: Some info on olympics

Professional tennis players participate in the Olympics. Most of the US track an field team make their living running so would have to be considered professional. In believe that professional Hockey players are in the Olympics as are professional ski racers.

Truman

jsalas wrote:

After Brundage retired as IOC president, the IOC re-evaluated its position on amateurism. Realizing that its rules discriminated against athletes without wealth and that, in some countries, state-supported training made athletes de facto professionals, the IOC gradually eliminated "amateur" status as a condition for Olympic eligibility. The word amateur was finally removed from the Olympic Charter during the 1970s. The international federations governing individual Olympic sports were given responsibility for determining Olympic eligibility following the 1981 IOC Congress and Session at Baden-Baden, Germany. Since that time, an increasing number of federations have modified their rules to allow professionals to compete in the Games.

I was mistaken.(I'm never wrong) This info came from amateur athletic foundation of los angeles www.aafla.org Right now the only sports that allow professionals to comepete in the olympics is baseball and basketball. Do you know how long it took me to find this info? Now I need to find out where the equestrian rules are and what direction they are heading. I will keep you posted. Lisa Salas