From: Truman Prevatt, PhD
To: Jeanne Slominski
Cc: ridecamp@endurance.net
Sent: Friday, June 15, 2001 9:00 AM
Subject: Re: RC: Heart Rates

I play it by ear - starting off with short stretches and using recovery as a
guide. My rule of thumb is after I come to a walk I'd like to see the heart rate
drop to about 90 in 3 or 4 minutes. When she could do that I extended the
distance of the uphill gallops. When the recoveries were there at that distance,
I exended the distance.

I found three things by doing this:
a) it was very hard to get the heart rate much above 180 after about 2 months of
this,
b) her ability to dissipate heat was really improved,
c) her recoveries improved.