Re: RC: Standardbreds, dark colored horses & cooling out

I rode a tall black TWH for years. Dark horses - independent of breed -
are at a disadvantage since the abosrbe more heat than a lighter colored
horse.  After a few years a miles the mare became pretty good at cooling
out. I think a big heart (low resting heart rate) helps here. The biggest
change I noticed in her ability to cool came when I changed my training
protocol. I started to train once a week in the FL sand hills - hills
with deep sand footing. Galloping up the hills in deep sand - pushing the
heart rate up heart rate (180 to 200 bpm) for sretches of a mile or so
really seemed to have a positive impact on her ability to cool.

Truman