Saddle rigging question

Hi all!

Just recieved a Sharon Saare type endurance saddle for evaluation.

I've never had a saddle where the girth was attached to a big ring attached
to the saddle with bio-thane strap at the front and back of  the side of the
saddle.

Anyone care to fill me in on what this is called and why it's good to have
on an endurance saddle?

I'm used to traditional Western girth rings, so I can make this work, I'm
just curious on what other ways there are to make this work.