Spook & Spin

I have a 14 year old morab that was untouched until he was 5 just turning 6.
  He will 'always' have a first reaction to spook at things on the
trail...especially white rocks....especially when the adrenaline is up and
we are flowing fast.  It has taken alot of work to get this under control.

First we worked on NH methods of having the horse face his fears and never
turn and run.  This was John Lyon's flavor, later on it was Dennis Reis.
There is plenty of literature on the how to do this, in the arena and on the
trail. It does include leg yields (human's best defense against a runaway
horse) and yielding to pressure.

Later, after he no longer thought of ducking and spinning but instead
jumping to the side while continuing forward (aren't these guys athletic!)
we practiced, stopping and going back up the trail (away from home), pass
the scary object as many times as it took until we could pass it on the same
straight line.  Sure, look at it, keep that ear on it at all times
please...but jumping sideways means we stop and go pass it many times until
we are both bored stiff.  And hey, it only took a couple times for that
message to get across.

Now, I still have to always 'ride' the horse...when I feel him worrying
about an upcoming object I lightly tap with one rein...just ask for a little
feel, use a leg a little to bend on one side...that is all it takes to say
'here I am, listen to me, pay attention, here is your job' and it works.
Many times I will use my voice to back it up as well.

But I also realize this horse will want to always spook first, it is in his
nature, and if I relax I better have my seat, especially at full canter when
we are having too much fun, or I will be left behind! <g>

Hope this helps!
Kimberly (&Mystery the Morab..."but those rocks tried to grab my feet!")