just fun riding

There isn't enough ride stories on ridecamp anymore!
I am going to share my Sid Viscous story. Sid is a great young gelding that I bought from Lori Sawatsky in Sask. He has great bone and a really good disposition. (Lori breeds for quality and confirmation her horses are wonderful)
Well Si Viscous named for the way he eats cookies not his temperment and I headed to my friend Normas place to go for a ride. This is the 3rd time Sid is going out on the trail.
He loads like a veteran (thanks Lori) and unloads just as smooth. We saddle up and play in her corral while she gets ready. Sid likes to have the odd fit but today was behaving exceptional. Norma has her step daughter in the lead on her big Quarter horse cross Zorro and she is behind on her Icelandic endurance pony oops horse. Quite a site a big quarter horse , a springy young arab and a short little icy all in a row. Sid grew up on the prairies so he isn't used to hills and bush trails. We made it past the horse eatting rock that has a real taste for young arabs and on down the trail.
In order to get to the trail we have to cross a creek. It has high banks and is pretty slick getting in it. Sid says no way, NO Way!! We work on it but just can't manage to get into the water. Norma decided to lead him through with Fenya but a little icy just doen't have the pull to get him in. Sid of course is quite pleased with himself he thinks he has won the battle but we pulled out the big guns. Dallyed him up on Zorro and away they went. Sid tried to jump on Zorro but Zorro is an old hand with colts and turned sideways to block Sid from coming on his heals. 5 to 6 times they went back and forth. Sid was getting the hang of it now. I climbed on and asked him to go through. NO WAY he said but to his surprize Zorro just hauled us through. MMMMM Sid thinks I am 5 and I think I should be the boss. The trail was full of horse eatting puddles and we zigged and zagged arround them in the lead . Sid was fine until we got to the BIG puddle with a hard bottom. Fenya led the way and Sid after realizing it was only water walked and stuck his head in to his eyes. I think he starting to like this riding stuff.
We came to a hill and Sid has no idea what his rump is for so he hollows his back , stretches out his back legs and climbs using his front legs. WOW this is alot of work. He will learn in the next few weeks to get his butt under him. For now he acts like what the heck is behind me oh! its my tail???
Zorro in the front to protect him and Fenya in the back to save him he moves through the bush (deer trails) happy and calm. He even had a big stick grab hold and stay for about 5 feet. Didn't even react.
Sid is off to a ranch trainer tomorrow. He will work cattle and do lots of trail riding. I don't have time to ride him everyday with my biothane business and the other horses so I am sending him to an expert. He will open and close gates and just be an all arround good horse. Next year he can start endurance this year he can be a horse.
Anyone interested in more information on Lori's horses call her 1 306 222 2713    she has an exceptional filly Summer Wind who is heading off to the trainer this month. The Canadian $$ is in your favor.
If you have time check out my web page www.biothanetack.com
Happy Trails
Paddi Sprecher
Canadian Trail House
manufacturer and retailer of fine biothane tack
www.biothanetack.com
Devon  Alberta
Canada