Spook and Spin

Ruth Abair shakesbearides@texoma.net
Dear Ridecampers,

I have a 6 yo Arabian gelding that is going well but
still needs a lot of wet blankets. Every once in a while
he spooks - ducks and spins and you can color me gone in the
process - so fast that it would make a cutting horse green with
envy. Usually I can detect a spook coming on by the shifting
of his shoulders and/or his raising his head and snorting.
Gawd, he just "loves" to snort and wag his tail in the air
and prance when he's excited. I use my leg and talk to him and
we get through it unscathed. It's the "spook and spin" scenario that leaves me in the dirt.

I bought this horse to be my "last" horse and the intent is to do trail and endurance with him. I am an accomplished rider but
I don't mend as fast as I used to "and" I don't claim to know it all. Any comments, and/or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Ruth Abair in Texas EMAIL: Shakesbearides@texoma.net