Re: bad boys

Linda, I so agree with everything you said. I also have a young boy (a yearling) who is a Desperado V son and we are not so eager to geld. He was also imprinted, correctly I hope, and independent from day one. Though he has never shown a mean or aggressive bone in his body, he is an intact boy. He has been ponied, trailered, haltered and lead since 2 months of age but he goes in and out of cooperation modes. Kinda like Batty, from the movie Fern Gully. So we just keep doing the same thing over and over again. I took him out over the weekend and was ponying him when some other riders came up on us. I told them to go ahead because he was getting a little out of control. Next thing I knew, he ran a few circles around us (so that is what the rotator cuff is for!), rearing and bucking and I had to let go. When I caught him, I decided it would be easier to walk him back to the trailer. My other horse followed us, like a well behaved horse should, while my maniac boy was not well behaved at all. Just when I was ready to beat the snot out of him, he bolted. The trail is deep black sand and wide enough for two horses. I was trying to disengage his hind end to no avail and found myself skiing on my knees. After the skin came off my knee caps I decided to try getting to my feet. Those trick water skiers have nothing on me. Did you know that sand can spray just like water and actually leave a wake? Well, I saw some roots sticking out of the ground and since their was no ramp to jump, I let go. Meanwhile, my other horse, the well behaved one, picked up the trot to stay with me. How sweet. I finally caught up with that little whipper snapper. He just wanted to see those other horses.  I won't be able to bend my knees until the skin grows back but that is the price we pay for education. Mine or his? I am not sure. I do know we will do some round pen work for a while. Boys! :) Lisa Salas, The Odd FArm