barn sour

All of my horses now leave the property without a glance back. It wasn't always this good. My mare would fight for all she was worth and for miles down the trail at every turn towards home would start again.
I led her for miles one day then had her charge all the way home .
When I got home I tied her saddled to the hitching rail and left her there while I had lunch and a drink. I offered her water then put her in the round pen still saddled. We had quite a workout. Then I got on her and headed out again. Again she decided to fight. I refused to lead her and after about an hour I was only 1 mile down the trail. Home again. Tied up for awhile still saddled back to the round pen and back to the trail. The battle was not so hard this time and we made progress. Back home tied up offered water back on ride out to the trail. Going out, little battle (I think she was finally getting tired) As long as she was moving away from home no problem. When she would start to fight we would spin spin spin and always finish facing away from home. Asked to forward refusal was rewarded with reins on her butt and a strong request to go forward. She decided that if she could not go home she would not go any where. Moving forward again continued down the trail for a few miles. Turned for home and tired horse turns into a crazy chargy full of energy horse and tries to rip my arms from the socket . Spin back away from home and at speed go away from home. If she has enough energy to buck and rear she has enough energy to run. Finally turn to go home and we dance but not pulling and totally ignoring me.
Home trail at a reasonable pace. Home offered water, tied to the hitching rail left for 2 hours while I do chores. Turned into pasture, no treats just a pat and let loose.
Next day same routine and less fight.
We condition horses to want to be at the barn. I try never to feed after a ride. I want them to think the trail is more fun then the pasture. If you always grain or feed after a ride they want to get home to eat. I carry grain and give it  miles from home when we take a break when I am on a youg horse. treats on the trail. We have places on our trail where I always give them something.
I also get off and lead them into the yard at the end of a ride. If I ride into the yard it means we are going back out to work.
Reid after many days of hard work at home decided that home is more work then going out on the trail. I had the help and advice of friends who are good trainers . It worked for us
Paddi Sprecher
Canadian Trail House
manufacturer and retailer of fine biothane tack
www.biothanetack.com
Devon  Alberta
Canada