Re: non-member fees

The club has no choice but to charge. The county requires insurance and maintenance in order for us to ride there. If the county maintained the property we would not have a place to ride. Believe me when I say there were many times when we, the board, put in our own money to mow and pay insurance just to keep the trails because we couldn't convince enough people to join.
It is AERC's choice to keep track of non-member rides and to charge the $10 non-member fee. They also charge a research fee if someone decides to join to get their past mileage to count. Isn't that right? So yes, I do know that is a considerable amount of money. That is why I say, let the office deal with it. Not RM. Not everyone who puts on a ride will be able to insist on the fees or  UTD cards.  Let's be realistic. While some of us love to argue it is easier for others to let people slide than to argue with them while you have 20 people standing in line. And if after having spent 6 months preparing for a ride as RM and spending lots and lots of money to put on a ride,  and then listening to people gripe after the ride, (there is always a few) I certainly would not expect a bill from the AERC office telling me I owed them anything. Why can't they call the riders themselves and collect the money? If the riders are the soul of AERC then ride managers make up  the heart that keeps the blood flowing. why can't it be a little bit easier for them?? Why give them a heart attack? Lisa Salas, The odd Farm
----- Original Message -----
From: Bob Morris
To: jsalas
Sent: Saturday, June 09, 2001 10:03 AM
Subject: RE: non-member fees

Lisa: I believe you answered your own question. Why does your group persist in the membership of $35 when some people do not want to pay it?

And to most ride managers the $10 is not an aggravation but a fee the riders are required to pay.

If you were aware of the number of non-members that ride you would realize the fee does amount to a fair sum. Several of us are very cognizant of the size of the non-member contingent from trying to correct back ride data and to give the members their correct records. Some rides show a considerable number of non-members in the LD category. Realize that the AERC keeps records on all of these who do not belong.

Bob Morris.