From: RhndLev@cs.com
To: ridecamp@endurance.net
Subject: RC:  Skip the ride?
Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2001 19:49:57 EDT

Okay, I need some experienced people's opinions here.  As you all may or may
not remember, I ride an 11 year old TWH mare.  Prior to my purchase of her
in
the fall one and a half years ago, she was ridden on multi-day rides in the
Ozarks and did some Competitive Trail rides with a local group there.  She
was in great condition when I purchased her and could do a 25 mile easily
with excellent recoveries.  However, the next spring, I injured my knee and
then she had a minor injury to her knee and we rode a grand total of four
times all last summer and fall.  This year, we were staying on a
conditioning
schedule a little better, and have done one 15 mile CTR, one 40 mile CTR
(over two days) and a 25 mile AERC ride.  However, in the last three weeks,
I've only had time to ride her once for 12 miles.  Between two children,
four
years and six years, chicken pox, and full time work, I just haven't had any
time to even lunge her.

So, my question is, how fast do horses lose condition?  Is it safe to take
her out on a 25 mile ride on June 16?  And if so, what should be our riding
schedule between now and then?

Rhonda