RE: AERC nonmember fee idea/Board?

Richard:
<<<Instead of stressing about how to make the Non-member fee system work
better, why not just cut the Gordian Knot?>>>

So what you advocate is that if a rule or policy of AERC is the slightest
difficult to enforce, then that rule or policy should be deleted.

I do not believe that this policy would contribute to the over all benefit
of the AERC in the slightest. The requirement for either having a membership
in AERC or paying a day fee is not the slightest bit difficult if the Ride
Manager is MANAGING THE RIDE. Many of our so called ride managers are out
there riding the ride and if not riding the ride they are working instead of
managing.

I would venture that not  more than 10% of the rides experience any problem
with the current system. Those that do are the vocal minority. The system is
simple the rider either has a AERC membership card to present or they pay
the $10 fee or they do not ride. It is very simple. There is no hassle for
the ride manager there is no extra work for the office and there is no
misunderstanding for the rider.

The problem comes when the system is circumvented. The RM accepts the riders
word they are AERC members but show no card. Well, in that case it is the
RM's fault no one else's. The second problem is when the rider kicks up a
fuss about having to pay and this situation is because of the lack of
conformance at some rides where the rules are not enforced.

A simple statement in the ride entry stating either a membership card or $19
and there will be no problem. But the RM must be firm and not deviate.

Bob Morris