Re:Training a New Endurance/Dressage

I couldn't agree more with Kathy Myers about dressage training. Even
though your horse is "clinically" sound now, once you start training you
may be surprised at what shows up physically on your horse and the weak
points will definitely be seen; either through lameness or uneven muscle
development. A horse that does not carry himself properly is asking for
trouble in the long haul. There are more front end lamesnesses from a
horse that is heavy on the front. When I buy a horse I look for horses
that carry themselves properly naturally. That alone can save you months
or years of heartaches and training.

I have one horse that went through a series of lay-ups and lost a lot of
his muscle tone. I decided to put him in dressage training to get him
back in shape with the proper muscle development. In just two months, I
couldn't believe how much he changed. He started carrying himself in a
balanced frame and his gaits smoothed out.  He is now doing so well that
he has won a couple of his classes (in open shows) and even went high
point. Along with dressage shows he is doing NATRC rides this year and
placing in every one and will be doing a LD soon, a year after a bad
trailer accident. Dressage training has certainly been a big factor in
his recuperation. He has a big dressage show next week and a LD the week
after.

Lauren
San Juan Capistrano, CA