saddle fit and diagonals

I need some help from more experienced riders. I am having saddle fit problems with my Synergist on the left side only. My horse has a dry spot below the wither about 2-3 inches in size. The right side is fine. There is no soreness at all.
Last week I asked a friend to take a look at it, after a long ride. She stood behind the horse and looked at his withers from behind, and figured out what the problem was right away. I could not believe how lopsided his withers and shoulders are! His left is muscled much heavier below the wither going down in to the shoulder. The difference is VERY obvious from this perspective. I just never thought of looking at it this way before. I can see why the saddle is too tight and leaves a dry spot on this side.
Now I have some questions as to why he is this way. I try to make it a point of changing diagonals frequently, but he clearly prefers the right diagonal and if I don't pay attention, he has a very sneaky way of putting me back into his "favorite" diagonal. What I don't understand, is that his LEFT side is muscled heavier when he prefers the RIGHT diagonal? Also, how do I build up his right shoulder? Should I be using his left diagonal more? Could he just be a lopsided horse? Would shimming up the right side help until this side gets stronger? Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks, Jutta