Re: RC: Ticklish vs. sore

When we first started this sport in the early 80's, it
was common place to use the butt end of a pen to run
down (or do I mean dig into) the horse's back.  I know
I'd certainly flinch!

At some CTR's we'd go to then, folks knew the vets who
could make any horse go to their knees.  They'd start
"palpating" the horse's back while in line so the poor
thing was already dipped away from anyone's touch.
Yep - you guessed it.  He couldn't dip any further
away, so they'd get "perfect" back scores.

Education does seem to be helping.  I don't see too
many bad exams any more.

They used your horse for a demo of "how not to"...
One year at Biltmore one of the vets grabbed my horse
after a completion to demonstrate pressure points to
help the horse relax.  Rocket was a little tight in
one back leg after a wet, muddy ride there.  He went
to sleep with their work on him and moved SO MUCH
better afterwards.  Poor fella remembered that vet &
would nicker at her the rest of the evening.  It's not
always BAD to be the demo horse!

Linda