Re: orthoflex and wide horses

"Tina Hicks" <tina@autoairbagcovers.com> said:

> Hey everyone, I have a couple of Q. re: orthoflex saddles:
> Does anyone out there use an Ortho on a really wide backed and/or
> mutton withered horse? I'm interested to know just how much
> flexibility there is in the panel system.

See my comments from several years ago regarding Ortho-flex widths:

http://www.endurance.net/ridecamp/archives/past/99/34/msg00112.html

Also, the earlier post that prompted my measuring experiment:

http://www.endurance.net/RideCamp/archives/past/99/33/msg00072.html

Since I made those two posts, Ortho-flex now offers "adjustable"
mounting posts for an additional $300 per pair.  Using an
allen wrench, you can increase the distance between the two
posts by up to 1".  (So claims the OF web page.  When I saw
the adjustable posts at The Mane Place, it looked to me like
both together would adjust a maximum of a little over 1/2", but
I could be wrong; I didn't measure.)

Linda Chita (see above post) claims that it is important to get the
saddle fitted by an experienced dealer to avoid the kind of saddle
rolling-on-mounting problems I've with my Versatile.

As for flexibility, I've yet to make the trip over to The Mane Place
with my spring scale to measure the difference in flexibility
between the OF System II's solid panels and System III's finger
panels.  Someday.

Linda B. Merims
lbm@ici.net
Massachusetts, USA