Experience with injuries needed

Short version -- my 4 yo is trying very hard to remove the inside heel bulb
of his right front foot.  Yesterday I got a call from the barn manager that
Spellbinder has torn his foot open again.  Yes, this is the THIRD time
since the first of the year that he has lacerated THE SAME heel bulb.

First injury was the first week in Jan when we were in a deep
freeze.  Since the cut was so clean, we figured he had broken through ice &
sliced it open removing his foot (but no confirmation).  Second time was
the first week in April.  Exact same spot.  No idea how it happened.  This
time is by far the worse -- practically removed the entire heel
bulb.  During all of this there has been no damage to tendons or ligaments
& only a very small nick (2nd injury) to the coronary band.  I have become
an expert at wrapping his foot & miraculously there has been no proud flesh.

My farrier & I walked the fence row where he was Thurs night & found no
blood/flesh on the fence (barbless wire).  Of course that does not rule out
him pawing the fence & injuring himself.  The only thing is what are the
chances that all 3 injuries occurred because of pawing & the same location
is all that is injured?  Wouldn't there have been damage to more than that
one heel bulb?

Is there any chance this much damage could be from interfering?  He normal
tracks true, but he is still clumsy at times.

Last -- how do I stop this????  Do I keep bell boots on him whenever he is
turned out?  I am so disheartened that this has happened again -- I haven't
had the guts to call my trainer to let her know that we will not be
resuming are lessons on 6/13.  Guess I can also forget about Biltmore in
Sept as our first ride.  (This horse could find a way to incur vet bills in
a padded stall. :-(  )

TIA for all insights & recommendations.
Vicki Wheeler & Spellbinder
Knoxville, TN